We’re on the reno home-stretch and while I’d like to say that by Friday onwards I will be sitting on my arse in my new house contemplating my (very round) navel, there’s still one massive job left to do. The nursery.
- Mini cot (on loan from my friend Monica)
- Change table (on loan from my friend Jac)
- Carry cot (to take baby to people’s houses, from my sister Nat)
- Sling (essential for any Newtown-based hippy mother, also from Nat)
- Baby Bjorn (also from Nat)
- Bumbo seat (which lovely blogger Simone at Honey and Fizz has offered to lend me)
Even so, I thought I should look at my options. So I waltzed into Babies’R’Us the other day and my head basically exploded. Apparently, ‘less is more’ does not apply to parenthood… but do I really need a nappy bin, wipes warmer, elaborate crib bedding, bottle warmer, bottle steriliser, mobiles, baby bath, swings, expensive high chair, manual breast pump, nursing pillow, white noise machine, baby food processor? I can see myself repurposing stuff around the house for a lot of this gear.
I will say, the idea of a baby monitor does appeal. Even though we live in a tiny house and will probably hear every single peep, chirp, coo, cry, gurgle and 3am scream with no problem whatsoever.